Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Life is a Perpetual Game of Frogger

You know what I'm talking about. The old Frogger game from the 1980's, where you have a little green blob graphic roughly shaped like a frog, and you have to jump it across a vast expanse of what appears to be a six lane highway while trying to avoid little car shaped blobs, only to find that on the other side of the highway, there is a wide and fast-flowing river with the only way across is jumping from log to leaf to log to leaf. I never really understood why the frog dies if he jumps in the river. Perhaps it flows too swiftly for my little first-level frog-blob to swim without getting run over by rogue logs.

Anyway, my life has become a perpetual game of Frogger. With 40,000 student on my campus, there is a lot of traffic. Not just car traffic either, but foot traffic and bike traffic, with blockades of construction everywhere. By far the busiest street is Pollock Road in front of the HUB-Robeson center. Yesterday, as I dodged between two particularly slow moving individuals, I was nearly knocked down by a bicycle riding quickly down the street. I don't know why I think I need to cross traffic. I should just go with the flow.

My thinking has become just like a game of Frogger. Slow person, fast person, fast person, JUMP, slow person, slow person, JUMP, fast person, fast person, fast person, fast person, JUMP, bicycle, JUMP, car, fast person, fast person, car, JUMP. And so on.

I have become quite skilled at this game of Froggger I play across the street at least three times a day. I'm almost addicted. Sometimes I think, "What do I need across Pollock Road? ... Perhaps some food at the HUB? ... Maybe I need to study in Davey Library today? ... Or can I go to the Professor's office hours? ..." Anything to play Frogger one more time today.

I need more video games.

No comments: